Considered more potent than ginseng, Tibetan Rhodiola is an adaptogenic herb revered by the Tibetan monks as the supreme herb in traditional health modalities. Scientists have determined the majority of its power and potency comes from two compounds, salidroside and rosavin. Each compound helps encourage physical performance, cognitive function, stress response, and internal balance. Here are 6 reasons to supplement with Tibetan Rhodiola.
1. Nervous System Support
Salidroside, one of the two main chemical compounds in Rhodiola, has shown positive effects for nervous system health. The compound acts as an antioxidant, scavenging free radicals and defending against damage to nerve cells. Research suggests that salidroside may also support nerve repair and possibly disrupt premature cell death. 
2. Neurological Health
The same way salidroside protects against nerve damage, the compound also supports brain cell health and defends against degeneration. Studies indicate it protects against damage done by amyloid-beta plaque buildup in brain cells.  Amyloid-beta, or A-beta, are the amino acids associated with Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders. Research suggests that rhodiola may help slow brain aging and provide therapeutic benefits for cognitive function.
3. Physical Performance
Rhodiola has a long history of use as a means to support physical performance. Double-blind, placebo-controlled studies have demonstrated endurance and exercise duration increases for persons supplementing with rhodiola. Oxygen levels increased as well, positively aiding physical performance.  Other studies have found both salidroside and rosavin provide a stimulating effect which can last up to 4-6 hours. 
4. Supports Balanced Mood
Traditional health practitioners have recommended Rhodiola as a natural approach to stress and anxiety. Studies report individuals experience an improvement in both overall mood and the ability to function during times of stress when supplementing with the herb.
5. Promotes Mental Sharpness and Concentration
Rhodiola supplementation increases oxygen levels which improves overall focus and concentration. This in turn contributes to a greater sense of clarity and a normal, balanced mood.
6. Encourages Cardiovascular Health
Supplementing with Tibetan Rhodiola
With its rejuvenating effect on the brain, nerve function, and ability to enhance physical performance, it’s no surprise that Tibetan rhodiola is held in such high regard. Its antioxidant action is incredible and why I’ve included it in the Cell Fuzion™ formulation. If you’ve got some experience supplementing with Tibetan rhodiola, leave a comment below and share your experience with us.
- Xie H, Zhu DH. Advance in studies on pharmacological effect of salidroside on nervous system diseases.Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2012 Sep;37(17):2505-9.
- Zhang L1, Yu H, Zhao X, Lin X, Tan C, Cao G, Wang Z. Neuroprotective effects of salidroside against beta-amyloid-induced oxidative stress in SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cells. Neurochem Int. 2010 Nov;57(5):547-55. doi: 10.1016/j.neuint.2010.06.021.
- De Bock K1, Eijnde BO, Ramaekers M, Hespel P. Acute Rhodiola rosea intake can improve endurance exercise performance. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2004 Jun;14(3):298-307.
- Panossian A1, Wagner H. Stimulating effect of adaptogens: an overview with particular reference to their efficacy following single dose administration. Phytother Res. 2005 Oct;19(10):819-38.
- Kucinskaite A1, Briedis V, Savickas A. Experimental analysis of therapeutic properties of Rhodiola rosea L. and its possible application in medicine. Medicina (Kaunas). 2004;40(7):614-9.