There are good reasons many believe that there is nothing in mainstream medicine that addresses de-acidification, detoxification, fixing nutritional deficiencies, modulating and boosting the immune system, and increasing full body circulation. Medical science has failed in its attempts at curing degenerative, metabolic, or autoimmune diseases. Without removing toxins and acids from all organs, cells and tissues, and without providing the essential nutritional building blocks like magnesium, the body will not be able to heal completely.
Unless a treatment actually removes acid toxins from the body and increases oxygen, water, and nutrients most medical interventions come to naught. With most allopathic medicines themselves being mitochondrial poisons, what happens is that they often change the symptom picture that then almost always drives disorders into a deeper chronic state. When the body’s tissues and cells become too acidic in conjunction with mitochondrial deficiency we set the stage for tissue inflammation and degeneration as we become breeding grounds for anaerobic pathogens.
It is time for allopathic medicine to understand that viruses, bacteria and fungi all thrive in acid conditions. Why is this so hard for orthodox doctors to understand? Tissues and cells are like factories with furnace mitochondria everywhere and everything gets very dirty with acid wastes that have to be cleared away every millisecond we are alive. There is no way around the reality that metabolism creates acid waste that can accumulate quite rapidly under the right conditions.
Increased oxidative stress, which correlates almost exponentially with ph changes into the acidic, is especially dangerous to the mitochondria, which suffer the greatest under oxidative duress.
Many in the alternative health field believe that there is not one drug on the market that reduces the acidity of the body or addresses any king of nutritional deficiency. This is not true! There happens to be two exceptional medicines that are excellent in addressing most of the issues mentioned above. Magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate are both considered medicines in their injectable forms and both provide almost immediate relief to physiological disturbances.
Patients receiving sodium bicarbonate achieved urine pH’s of 6.5 as opposed to 5.6 with those receiving sodium chloride. This alkalinization is theorized to have a protective effect against the formation of free-radicals that may cause nephropathy.4 – Dr. Michael Metro
One of the fundamental approaches to medicine has to be the alkalinization of the body so it can dispose acids from our cells tissues, and organs. We can do this in many ways but often doctors have to do this in quick ways in emergency situations. Other times, when we have cooperative patients we can use food as medicines and accomplish things gradually with time.
The most powerful alkalizing foods on the planet are the ones that are highest in chlorophyll. In Magnesium Medicine, my third magnesium book due out soon, is a chapter called The Lamp of Life and it’s about the central role that magnesium has in life. It is also the central atom in the chlorophyll molecule. Without magnesium, without chlorophyll, life simply does not exist.
You just can’t beat the cell-restoring potential of green foods such as wheat, barley, kamut, alfalfa, and oat grasses along with spirulina and chlorella. These foods are all high in magnesium and act readily as food medicines. They are thousands of times more powerful than ordinary green vegetables, because they are super concentrated in chlorophyll, alkaline minerals, rare trace minerals, vitamins, phyto-nutrients, and enzymes. My favourite has always been spirulina and I include it in all my protocols.
Though I believe in the power of raw food diets and healing medical approaches like the Gerson Diet, today we need exceptionally powerful medicinal medicines that are not really medicines in the way we normally think of medicines. Both sodium bicarbonate and magnesium chloride are common items that when not injected are considered foods safe for consumption. Luckily for everyone these two substances are affective for chronic and acute disorders when used orally and transdermally; we do not need to go to the emergency room for injections.
This chapter is specifically about the dynamics of using these two substances together. They offer a combination therapy that is natural, effective and safe and can be used readily with other protocol items, medicines and healing processes. Add some sun (vitamin D), iodine, ALA and Vitamin C and we will go a long way of helping the pharmaceutical giants to an early grave.
Magnesium bicarbonate is a complex hydrated salt that exists only in water under specific conditions. The magnesium ion is Mg2+, and the bicarbonate ion is HCO3-. So, magnesium bicarbonate must have two bicarbonate ions: Mg (HCO3)2. Magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate taken at full strength with water at slightly separated times are an ideal way to supply magnesium ions and bicarbonate ions to body cells.
Magnesium and bicarbonate rich mineral waters are easily absorbed and have many health benefits.
Likewise, in small doses, the two together make up an ideal treatment system for distilled and reverse osmosis water. Adding these two substances to taste not only will remineralise highly processed water but will provide the body with a constant supply of the ultimate mitochondrial cocktail. Good drinking water would contain approximately 125 mg of magnesium and 650 mg of bicarbonate per litre. When consumed together magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate work very well together to combat basic physiological problems.
When our tissues become too acidic and lacking in magnesium necessary for ATP production cellular metabolism drops off and this can lead to obesity and diabetes.
Few clinicians are aware how these two substances work to enhance each other – they are mutually reinforcing because magnesium functions as a bicarbonate co-transporter into cells. And bicarbonate acts as a transporter of magnesium into the mitochondria. Magnesium influx is linked with bicarbonate transport according to the Dietary Reference Intakes guide from the Institute of Medicine. Magnesium transport into or out of cells requires the presence of carrier-mediated transport systems (Gunther, 1003; Romani et al., 1993). ATPase reaction has a broad pH optimum centering on neutral pH, with little significant activity above pH 9.0 or below pH 5.5. Thus anything that moves us from overall acid conditions toward alkaline that recover the neutral zone is going to enhance cell metabolism via mitochondrial optimization.
Alkalosis enhances magnesium reabsorption in the juxtamedullary proximal nephron.
It was actually the dedicated work of Dr Russell Beckett, a veterinarian with a PhD in biochemical pathology that paved the way to understand the significance of bicarbonate acting in conjunction with magnesium. He has formulated Unique Water which, it has been asserted, slowed the ageing process and increased the length of life of humans and other mammals and could be used to treat all inflammatory and degenerative diseases. Unique Water is water containing magnesium bicarbonate at an alkaline pH value. Dr. Beckett’s theoretical and experimental research has resulted in the understanding how important both of bicarbonate and magnesium ions are in human physiology and how they work together to optimize human health and the ability to recover from disease.
Bicarbonate ions working alongside magnesium would naturally create the conditions for increased glucose transport across cell plasma membranes. Bicarbonate ions without doubt create the alkaline conditions for maintaining the enzyme activity of pancreatic secretions in the intestines. Bicarbonate neutralize acid conditions required for inflammatory reactions hence sodium bicarbonate would be of benefit in the treatment of a range of chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. An excellent research group called Agua G is studying the overall benefits of bicarbonate in human physiology.
Bicarbonate acts to stimulate the ATPase by acting directly on it.
Magnesium does not readily reach the mitochondrion, but if plenty of bicarbonate is available the bicarbonate will act as transport into the mitochondrion. The only problem is that the few magnesium bicarbonate products that are almost impossible to find for sale are expensive compared to using magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate individually. It is possible to make one’s own magnesium bicarbonate. This chapter does not make a strong recommendation for you to go out and buy magnesium bicarbonate or even make it yourself as directed in this last footnote. A person gets much more control over both bicarbonate and magnesium physiology when magnesium is taken in its chloride form and the bicarbonate is taken as sodium bicarbonate. When using magnesium chloride for oral consumption you must use the highest quality sources. Sea water evaporation magnesium oils are not appropriate for this type of application.
The bicarbonate buffer system occurs in both intra- and extracellular fluids. It consists of carbonic acid (H2CO3) and sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). If a strong acid is present, it reacts with sodium bicarbonate to produce carbonic acid and sodium chloride, minimizing the increasing concentration of hydrogen ions. If a strong base is present, it reacts with carbonic acid, producing sodium bicarbonate and water, minimizing the alkaline shift.
Highly alkaline water with magnesium, bicarbonate, calcium and potassium increases pH significantly in the body.
Carbonic anhydrase (CA) is a ubiquitous metalloenzyme that catalyzes the reversible hydration/dehydration of carbon dioxide. Carbonic anhydrase enzyme is ever-present in body cells and constitutes up to ten percent of the soluble protein in most body cells. It is one of the fastest enzymes known: each carbonic anhydrase enzyme produces from ten thousand to one million acid groups (H+) per second. The acid (H+) produced by carbonic anhydrase enzyme is pumped by proton pump enzymes into cell organelles such as lysosomes, phagosomes, endosomes and ruffled membranes.
In red blood cells (rbcs), CA is the second most abundant protein to haemoglobin and plays a crucial role in CO2 transport. More specifically, rbc CA catalyzes the hydration of CO2 to HCO3– at the tissue site of production, and the dehydration of HCO –3 to CO2 at the respiratory surface, thereby facilitating the transport and excretion of CO2 from the body. In addition, rbc CA also facilitates the linkage of O2 and CO2transport via the Bohr effect. Carbonic anhydrase speeds the reaction of carbon dioxide and water. This reaction produces carbonic acid, which quickly dissociates into bicarbonate and hydrogen ions.
Bicarbonate ion concentrations decrease the formation of acid by carbonic anhydrase enzyme (Le Chatelier’s principle). In the presence of magnesium and bicarbonate ions, less acid is produced by carbonic anhydrase enzyme. But studies with partially purified carbonic anhydrase from spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.) chloroplasts show that the effect was the result of the chloride ion and not the magnesium ion. Enzyme activity was reduced 50% upon addition of 3 to 10 millimolar MgCl2 or KCl while all additions of MgSO4 between 0.3 and 10 millimolar were mildly stimulatory.
Excess acid accumulation leads to oxygen deprivation and thus cell fermentation. Acid conditions lead to cell rot, another term for cancer.
This reaffirms my long standing belief that magnesium chloride is the absolute best form of magnesium for, among many reasons; the very important chloride ion is supplied. Chloride physiology is just one more basic that is being addressed. It is important because we see reduced acid through reduced carbonic anhydrase enzyme action. Chloride is required to produce a large quantity of gastric acid each day and is also needed to stimulate starch-digesting enzymes.
Using other magnesium salts is less advantageous because these have to be converted into chlorides in the body anyway. We may use magnesium as oxide or carbonate but then we need to produce additional hydrochloric acid to absorb them. Many aging individuals, especially with chronic diseases who desperately need more magnesium, cannot produce sufficient hydrochloric acid; and then they cannot absorb the oxide or carbonate.
Dr. David Brownstein importantly tells us, “Chloride and bromine compete for reabsorption in the kidneys. When there is a decreased amount of chloride in the body (which is common in low-salt diets), less bromine will be excreted from the kidneys resulting in elevated bromine levels. Increasing the amount of chloride in the diet will allow the kidneys to release more bromine into the urine for excretion.” Bromine is a huge problem today and both Dr. Brownstein and I have written books on Iodine, which again bring in the salt question. Iodine gets its way into almost any medical protocol today and combines perfectly with magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. (I recently received a note from Dr. Brownstein – “Loved your iodine book. Great piece of work! Can’t wait for your next book.”)
We are at a very interesting level of biology and physiology when we talk about bicarbonate, magnesium, and chloride ions. And even sodium in the sodium part of bicarbonate is absolutely essential to human health. As we mentioned in another chapter sodium bicarbonate as well as citrate and phosphate salts do not raise blood pressure to the same extent as do the corresponding amounts of sodium chloride. A study on mineral water containing sodium bicarbonate has confirmed the absence of any effect on blood pressure in elderly individuals.
This is an updated chapter from my book.
Sodium itself is needed for many functions of the body. Its main function is in providing the balancing of fluids in the body. Sodium is necessary for life and a deficiency can result in often life threatening conditions such as dehydration, heart palpitations, and muscle cramping all of which can rapidly progress to more dangerous situations if left untreated. So sodium bicarbonate is a good way of getting the essential salt we need. Most of the salt that is consumed in the world is not any good anyway, it is salt with the minerals all stripped out and that goes for sea salt as well as mined processed salt. Salt is a very important subject. It is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure – in conjunction with water. For more information read Dr. David Brownstein’s book SALT – Your Way to Health.
Sodium bicarbonate is known to decrease serum concentration of ionized magnesium ([Mg2+]) when sodium bicarbonate is added to neonatal serum in vitro. The addition of sodium bicarbonate causes a significant decrease in [Mg2+]. From this in vitro study we speculate that fast infusion of sodium bicarbonate in human neonates may potentially cause a clinically significant decrease in serum [Mg2+].
Where would the magnesium go but into the cells and bones where most magnesium reserves are found? Higher pH levels and the bicarbonate itself will help the magnesium leave the blood serum driving Mg2+ into the cells where again the bicarbonate will carry it from the cytoplasm into the mitochondria where, in cases of chronic disease, it is desperately needed. Thus magnesium and bicarbonate, when used together, would considerably increase the energy production in body cells.
Mg2+ is critical for all of the energetics of the cells because it is absolutely required that Mg2+ be bound by ATP the central high energy compound of the body. – Dr. Boyd Haley
Magnesium bicarbonate decreases the production of acid from carbon dioxide in body cells. Magnesium and bicarbonate would at the same time increase energy in several ways. First, magnesium bicarbonate protects the natural organic and inorganic phosphate buffers in the cytoplasm of cells. Second, magnesium bicarbonate neutralizes the acid produced as a result of metabolic processes and ATP hydrolysis. This allows more ATP to be hydrolyzed; that is, more energy can be utilized.
Magnesium bicarbonate buffers the mitochondria in body cells from excess acid concentrations which improves mitochondrial function and allows more ATP to be produced. When more ATP can be hydrolyzed and more ATP can be produced, body cells have sufficient energy for optimum function.
ATP without Mg2+ bound cannot create the energy normally used by specific enzymes of the body to make protein, DNA, RNA, transport sodium or potassium or calcium in and out of cells. ATP without enough Mg2+ is non-functional and leads to cell death.– Dr. Boyd Haley
Dr Seeger and Dr Budwig in Germany have shown that cancer is mainly the result of a faulty energy metabolism in the powerhouses of the cells – the mitochondria. ATP and most of the enzymes involved in the production of energy require magnesium. A healthy cell has high magnesium and low calcium levels. The problem that comes with low magnesium (Mg) levels is the calcium builds up inside the cells while energy production decreases as the mitochondria gradually calcify. Thus taking magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate together is ideal for cellular environments turned acidic and calcified.
Magnesium ions constitute the physiologically active magnesium in the body; they are not attached to other substances and are free to join in biochemical body processes.
There is no way one can address in this chapter all the possibilities and the medical power one can achieve when combining magnesium chloride with sodium bicarbonate. Whether one has heart or neurological disease, diabetes, cancer or a bad case of the flu taking these substances together offer doctors and patients safe and effective treatment.
So deep are the protective, buffering and neutralizing properties of bicarbonate that it is used even with radiation exposure to protect the kidneys and other tissues. In a world that is already overexposed to uranium oxide and mercury magnesium bicarbonate becomes even more important because mercury and uranium oxide directly attack the nuclear material and mitochondria of the cells.
The use of DU weaponry by the US, defying all international treaties, will slowly annihilate all species on Earth including the human species, and yet this country continues to do so with full knowledge of its destructive potential.– Leuren Moret
“Depleted (DU) uranium is highly toxic to humans, both chemically as a heavy metal and radiological as an alpha particle emitter, is very dangerous when taken internally,” writes Dr. Rosalie Bertell, Canadian Epidemiologist. A new study, conducted by biochemist Dr. Diane Stearns at Northern Arizona University confirms that, separate from any radiation risks, cells exposed to uranium will bond with the metal chemically.
The kidneys are usually the first organs to show chemical damage upon uranium exposure, military manuals suggest doses or infusions of sodium bicarbonate to help alkalinize the urine if this happens. This makes the uranyl ion less kidney-toxic and promotes excretion of the nontoxic uranium-carbonate complex. The oral administration of sodium bicarbonate diminishes the severity of the changes produced by uranium in the kidneys.
Uranium and phosphate have a strong chemical affinity for each other and the DNA and Mitochondria are loaded with phosphate so uranium is a DNA and Mitochondria deep penetration bomb. The uranium is attacking on fundamental cellular levels while mercury offers a knock out punch by attacking the sulfur bonds besides being highly toxic to nerve cells. Nephrotoxicity of the kidneys with necrosis of proximal tubules has been seen to increase significantly with dual exposure to both uranium and mercury.
Bicarbonate ions neutralizes carbonic acid formed in the body during metabolic processes. Several studies have shown that an increased intake of bicarbonate may help prevent muscle wasting and bone loss. Our diets are usually acid. Acids burn out our cells and causes accelerated aging. Bicarbonate is alkaline and provides the body with the extra alkalinity needed by the body to neutralize excess acidity.
The medical industrial complex has deliberately programmed generations of doctors to hold with the poor idea that using highly toxic and dangerous drugs is preferable to using vastly safer concentrated nutritional substances that make better medicines then any drug the pharmaceutical companies can fabricate. Magnesium chloride is used in emergency rooms and so is sodium bicarbonate to save lives everyday. Interesting that the medical intelligence has been lacking to combine the two and use their collective strength to even greater effect.
Emergency Room Medicines for Chronic and Acute Diseases.
Magnesium chloride, iodine and sodium bicarbonate actually replicate the biological action of prescription drugs at far less cost and with fewer side effects. They are like the primary colors on a master painter’s pallet; with the primaries one can make almost any color, or a doctor in his place could generate almost any medical effect safely and swiftly. There are other substances like these three but these are primary and impinge their benefits directly onto cell physiology in a very coordinated synergistic way.
Magnesium bicarbonate would clearly come out heads in the class of cerebral protective agents. Magnesium bicarbonate would offer significant cerebral protection with high preservation effect on neurological function following brain injury or in healing chronic impaired dysfunction like in Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
When the nervous system is injured, the brain produces self-protective molecules in an attempt to halt damage. Following injury, the death of nerve cells occurs over a prolonged period of many hours or days, which provides a “window” for therapeutic intervention. Magnesium chloride is the undisputed best first therapeutic agent to be injected for stroke and is being tested in ambulances in Los Angeles.
This chapter is opening up a new door for allopathic medicine because it combines two emergency room and intensive care medicines for everyday use. My new book that lays out my conceptual designs for the future of medicine is called Principles and Practices of Natural Allopathic Medicine. Magnesium chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate are non pharmaceutical, non toxic concentrated nutritional medicinal medicines. These are backbone medicines no clinic or home medical kit should be without.
Dr. Mark Sircus, AC., OMD, DM
- Distilled water is not safe for long term use, it lacks bicarbonates and minerals and yes, it is acid forming to the body. Yet it is an excellent aid in detoxification and chelation for it purity pulls on toxicities in the body. Part of the reason why our body is acid is that it lacks enough bicarbonate necessary to neutralize the acid. Whenever the water lacks the proper bicarbonates to neutralize the water in distilled water your body basically becomes acid. Long term acidity causes acid blood, which is like acid rain, causes the calcium from the bones to be leeched out and as a result, the tissues and organ have too much of calcium clogging the system. Therefore distilled water is generally not recommended as a regular drinking water, since most of our body usually receives bicarbonates from the water we drink than from the food we eat. But we can easily treat distilled water by adding bicarbonate and magnesium and then it is not really distilled water anymore.
- Biochem J. 1977 August 1; 165(2): 355–365. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1164908
- Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 243: F197-F203, 1982; 0363-6127/82
- Origin of the Bicarbonate Stimulation of Torpedo Electric Organ Synaptic Vesicle ATPase. Joan E. Rothlein 1 Stanley M. Parsons. Department of Chemistry and the Marine Science Institute, University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California, U.S.A.
- The method consists of using one tablespoon of magnesium carbonate to be dissolved with soda water. Buy a bottle of Carbonated Seltzer water – NO SODIUM, just carbonated “fizz” water, unflavored. Refrigerate for a couple of hours. Get another, larger bottle, and pour 2/3 of a capful of PLAIN (no-flavor) Philips Milk of Magnesia (which is Magnesium Oxide, an alkaline laxative) into the large bottle. (The bottle comes with a plastic measuring cup which is what I mean when I say 2/3 capful.) Now quickly open the bottle of carbonated water (water + carbonic acid) and empty it into the large bottle containing the 2/3 capful of Magnesia. Shake well. You will have a bottle of milky/cloudy liquid which is in the process of neutralization between the carbonic acid and the magnesium oxide– leaving a neutral salt, Magnesium Bicarbonate.
- Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil and Bath Flakes are both pure enough for oral consumption even they are not sold for oral use.
- Perry, 1986; Perry and Laurent, 1990; Henry and Heming, 1998
- Forster and Steen, 1968; Maren and Swenson, 1980
- Bamberger and Avron 1975 Plant Physiol 56: 481-485
- Regulation of Chloroplastic Carbonic Anhydrase. Effect of Magnesium
Michael A. Porter and Bernard Grodzinski
Plant Physiology, Vol. 72, No. 3 (Jul., 1983), pp. 604-605 (article consists of 2 pages)
Published by: American Society of Plant Biologists
- News vol 3, no 1, May 2001
- Magnesium research 2004, vol. 17, no2, pp. 90-93
- Mg2+ is critical for all of the energetics of the cells because it is absolutely required that Mg2+ be bound (chelated) by ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the central high energy compound of the body. ATP without Mg2+ bound cannot create the energy normally used by specific enzymes of the body to make protein, DNA, RNA, transport sodium or potassium or calcium in and out of cells, nor to phosphorylate proteins in response to hormone signals, etc. In fact, ATP without enough Mg2+ is non-functional and leads to cell death. Bound Mg2+ holds the triphosphate in the correct stereochemical position so that it can interact with ATP using enzymes and the Mg2+ also polarizes the phosphate backbone so that the ‘backside of the phosphorous’ is more positive and susceptible to attack by nucleophilic agents such as hydroxide ion or other negatively charged compounds. Bottom line, Mg2+ at critical concentrations is essential to life,” says Dr. Boyd Haley who asserts strongly that, “All detoxification mechanisms have as the bases of the energy required to remove a toxicant the need for Mg-ATP to drive the process. There is nothing done in the body that does not use energy and without Mg2+ this energy can neither be made nor used.” Detoxification of carcinogenic chemical poisons is essential for people want to avoid the ravages of cancer. The importance of magnesium in cancer prevention should not be underestimated.
- Magnesium has a central regulatory role in the cell cycle including that of affecting transphorylation and DNA synthesis, has been proposed as the controller of cell growth, rather than calcium. It is postulated that Mg++ controls the timing of spindle and chromosome cycles by changes in intracellular concentration during the cell cycle. Magnesium levels fall as cells enlarge until they reach a level that allows for spindle formation. Mg influx then causes spindle breakdown and cell division.
- Altura BM, Altura BT, “Role of magnesium in patho-physiological process and the clinical utility of magnesium íon selective electrodes.” Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl, vol. 224, pp.211-234, 1996
- A radioisotope of an element will bind best to the same substrates which a non-radioactive isotope of the same element will bind. Dr. Stearns has established that when cells are exposed to uranium, the uranium binds to DNA and the cells acquire mutations, triggering a whole slew of protein replication errors, some of which can lead to various cancers. Stearns’ research, published in the journals Mutagenesis and Molecular Carcinogenesis, confirms what many have suspected for some time – that uranium can damage DNA as a heavy metal, independent of its radioactive properties. The biochemical reaction of heavy metals can cause genetic mutations, which in turn can curtail cell growth and cause cancer. Heavy metals that are also radioactive amplify this effect and can cause distortions in shape and thus function even of red blood cells.
- A study of the acidosis, blood urea, and plasma chlorides in uranium nephritis in the dog, and the protective action of sodium bicarbonate. The Journal of Experimental Medicine, Vol 25, 693-719, Copyright, 1917, by The Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research New York
- Biol Trace Elem Res. 2001 Winter;84(1-3):139-54.