What is Cystic Acne?
Cystic acne is known to be the worst from of acne. It has the characteristics of soft lumps which are filled with fluid that appear under the surface of your skin.
The breakouts can be red and quite large which are painful and make your skin incur damage and more prone to scar development.
Those acnes are often seen on the face, back and chest as well as shoulders and upper arms.
What cause Cystic Acne?
The structure of skin pores consists of sebaceous glands which secret sebum and hair follicles. When the sebum is overloaded, it will make the pores become clogged together with the epidermal cells from the skin. Then when those clogged pores are infected and it runs deeply into the skin, which is when cystic acne occurs.
The main factor which usually triggers cystic acne is the changes of hormone that induce the production of sebum. Also there are several other factors such as excessive humidity, greasy cosmetics, sweating, chemicals or some particular drugs.
This problem is often observed on teenagers due to their drastic changes of hormone. However, it does not mean others are exception. [Read more: The 7 Best Vitamins for Healthy & Glowing Skin].
Here are the top 10 most recommended home remedies for cystic acne that you can use immediately in order to alleviate the impact of cystic acne as well as help restore your skin.
The most recommended ingredient from the home remedies for cystic acne is turmeric. The anti-inflammatory effect from the curcumin compound of turmeric can effectively alleviate the pain as well as inflammation. Moreover, it is also an antiseptic in nature which can help you combat infection efficiently.
Put 1 – 2 tsps of turmeric powder into some water or sesame oil to create a paste. Put the paste onto the acne for about a hour before washing off. Practice 1 – 2 times every day in couples of day.
Also you can put ½ tsp fo turmeric powder into some warm milk and ingest twice every day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Being a well-known astringent, apple cider vinegar is an essential ingredient among the home remedies for cystic acne. It can help you get rid of excessive oil as well as alleviate the inflammation and pain. Moreover, it will assist you in maintaining a clean skin and a balance level of pH for your skin.
- Put some unfiltered raw vinegar and water in equal amount together. Use the cotton ball to soak that solution and put it onto the acne. After about 15 minutes, wash it off using water. Practice twice every day for couples of day.
- Also you can put a tsp of unfiltered raw vinegar with some raw honey into some warm water and ingest 1 – 2 times every day.
3. Tea Tree Oil
This powerful ingredient is the highest recommended within the home remedies for cystic acne. It can absorb deeply into your skin and help you unclog the sebaceous glands, cleanse the pores and drain out the acne.
- Put 1 – 2 drops of tea tree oil onto the acne using the cotton ball. Keep it on for couples of hour or even overnight. In case, you have sensitive skin, you need to dilute the oil using water with ratio of oil and water as 1:3.
- Also you can put 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil into a tbsp of organic raw honey. Put that mixture onto the acne for at least 15 minutes before washing off using water.
- Practice either of those methods above for once every day in1 week.
Note: There are people who can be allergic to tea tree oil; therefore, you should take the skin patch test before applying.
4. Baking Soda
With strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effects, you cannot leave baking soda out of the most effective home remedies for cystic acne.
It can help you drain the oil out of clogged pores while exfoliating dead cells on the skin. Moreover, it will support you in maintain the balance level of pH on skin in order to improve its healthiness.
- Put a tsp of baking soda into some cucumber juice to create a paste. In case, the cucumber juice is unavailable, you can opt for water.
- Put the paste onto the acne.
- After few minutes, wash it off using warm water.
- Practice 1 – 2 per week.
Note: Remember to moisturize the skin after applying baking soda.
5. Fuller’s Earth
This type of clay is also a considerable solution within the home remedies for cystic acne. It can help you take care of the excessive oil as well as the dead cells on skin, thus make your skin become smooth and clean. Additionally, it will significantly lower the chance of developing scars for your skin.
- Put 1 – 2 tbsps of fuller’s earth into some water to create a paste.
- Put in ½ tsp of honey.
- Put the mixture onto the acne.
- After drying out, cleanse off using water.
- Practice 1 – 2 times per week.
6. Lavender Oil
Another essential oil from the home remedies for cystic acne is lavender oil. It is extremely effective at alleviating pain and inflammation while improving the healing. Additionally, it can help you avoid getting scars.
- Put some lavender oil onto the acne for 2 – 3 times per day.
- Also you can put some drops of lavender into some mild cleanser and wash the face using that solution for twice every day.
- You might as well cleanse your face meticulously and then put 4 – 5 drops of lavender oil into the bowl of hot water. Use a towel to cover the head and let the steam flow onto the face for about 10 minutes. Practice 2 – 3 times per week.
7. Green Tea
With natural antioxidants, green tea is the most beneficial ingredient among the home remedies for cystic acne which can help your skin become glowing and healthy from the inside. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory effect from green tea can effectively alleviate the swollen and irritated skin.
- Put ¼ cup of freshly-brewed green tea into some water of equal amount. Put that solution onto the acne using the cotton ball. After about 15 minutes, wash off using cold water. Practice twice every day.
- Also you can ingest 3 – 4 cups of green tea every day.
8. Indian Lilac
Also called margosa or neem, this is one of the oldest remedies among the home remedies for cystic acne. With antimicrobial and antiseptic effects, you will not need to worry about the discomfort with inflammation and pain. Moreover, ingesting this herb will even detoxify the body as well as purify the blood.
- Put the paste from the leaves of Indian lilac onto the acne. After drying out, wash it off using warm water.
- Also you put some drops of neem oil onto the acne using the cotton ball. After about 10 minutes, cleanse off using warm water.
- Practice either of those methods above for twice every day in couples of day.
The antibacterial effect from honey is the reason why honey cannot be excluded from the home remedies for cystic acne. With antioxidant effect, honey can even protect you from the free radical damage. Moreover, honey can help you stimulate the healing of acne scars, thus restore the softness and smooth for your skin.
- Put some raw honey onto the acne. After about 15 minutes, cleanse off using warm water. Practice 2 – 3 times per day for couples of day.
- Also you can put ½ tsp of honey with a tsp of cinnamon powder to create a paste. Put the paste onto the acne for 10 minutes before washing off using warm water. Practice daily for 1 week.
10. Dietary Changes
The last tip from the home remedies for cystic acne is certainly the changes in diet.
- Practice a diet with low glycemic such as beans, whole grains, green vegetables and fresh fruits.
- Ingest foods which are rich in vitamin C in order to stimulate the development of healthy skin tissues.
- Ingest seeds and nuts which are abundant of vitamin A and E.
- Ingest more water in order to detoxify the body.
- Lowering or even no consumption of dairy products such as cheese and milk until the acnes are healed completely.
- Do not ingest foods which are spicy, fat or oily.
- Do not ingest junk foods as well as high-sugar foods.