Harmful chemicals in cosmetics can lead to health problems and if you’re trying to live a clean, green life it only makes sense to seek out non-toxic, all natural options. Choosing organic shampoo and conditioner products is one of the best places to start. They’re easy to find and usually only marginally more expensive than traditional brands. If you’ve used cheap shampoo or conditioner and your hair or scalp needs reviving, organic alternatives can help.
Shampoo Ingredients to Avoid
When shopping for shampoo or conditioner, always check product labels. Just because chemicals are toxic doesn’t mean they aren’t used. For example, did you know that sodium lauryl sulfate is known to cause cataracts in adults and improper eye development in children? Regardless, it’s a common ingredient in most varieties of shampoo and conditioner. In addition to being common, the following ingredients are known dry out the scalp, irritate oil glands, corrode hair follicles, and are best avoided!
- Sodium lauryl sulfate
- Ammonium lauryl sulfate
- Derivatives of lauryl alcohol
- Myreth sulfate
- Propylene glycol (also known as antifreeze)
- Olefin sulfonate (deodorized kerosene)
Benefits of Organic Shampoo and Conditioner
Ingredient quality is the primary difference between organic and conventional hair care products. Think of it as natural vs. synthetic. Organic products gently infuse your hair follicles and skin cells with natural minerals, herbal extracts, and oils. Natural ingredients such as organic tea tree can help address skin conditions such as dandruff and scalp irritation. Beta glucan is another ingredient that helps sooth an irritated scalp.
If you are looking for shampoo that stimulates healthy hair, look for products that contain aloe vera and coconut oil, as they are natural moisturizers. If you need enhanced shine, choose something with organic shea butter.
When you use organic shampoos and conditioners, you’re also helping the environment by letting biodegradable substances go down the drain instead of harsh chemicals. Below are a few of the natural hair care and skin care products that I like to use.
|Organic Product Suggestions|
|Organic Soap||Skin Care||Hair Care|
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)