Our bodies are bombarded with all manner of toxins as we go about our daily lives. Even those of us who go to great lengths to avoid known toxins – for example, by eating organic foods and avoiding proceed meats – are still vulnerable. Toxins can sneak in from everywhere, whether it’s the air you breathe, the water you drink, or that lotion you slather on every time you get out of the shower.
While it’s impossible to completely escape toxins in modern life, one way we can stack the odds in our favor is to consume superfoods that can help flush these toxins out of our systems. Here is a look at 14 superfoods that will send those toxins in your body scrambling, while boosting your immune system at the same time.
2. Turmeric. With so many benefits, it would probably be easier to list the issues turmeric can’t help with. When it comes to detoxing, however, it is particularly powerful, thanks to its ability to stimulate liver function.
3. Cucumbers might be mostly water, but that doesn’t mean they should be overlooked. They help alkalize the body and flush toxins out, and are very easy to add to your diet.
4. Broccoli has a number of impressive health benefits, but when it comes to detoxing, it’s a superstar. It works with liver enzymes to help make toxins easier to eliminate.
6. Lentils contain plenty of zinc, which boosts your immune system and is necessary for your body’s metabolic processes. It also helps with liver metabolism.
7. Beetroot can help to restore your body’s pH balance, while infusing it with nutrients such as iron, magnesium, zinc and calcium. Its strong detoxifying properties are supported by its high content of betaine and pectin.
8. Avocado. You simply can’t go wrong with this superfood. Avocados deliver from several angles. Their glutathione helps remove your body’s toxins while also lending some anti-carcinogenic properties. In addition, their high Vitamin K content is associated with good liver health.
9. Cabbage can help break down harmful chemicals in your body, such as those found in medications or pesticides, thanks to its sulfur-containing compounds.
10. Artichokes are full of prebiotic inulin, which your body uses to help form probiotics in your gut. This helps take the pressure off your liver to do all of the detoxing.
11. Mung beans. On a similar note to lentils, these powerful beans are known to absorb toxic residues from the walls of your intestines.
12. Green tea’s abundance of antioxidants make it well suited to washing toxins right out of your system. Moreover, it is rich in catechins, which boost liver function.
13. Watercress. This natural diuretic can protect cells from free radicals while boosting liver enzymes.
14. Lemon is truly one of the best foods for detoxification, thanks to its high content of liver-supporting pectin and betaine. Squeezing lemon juice into your water is an easy way to fit this into your daily routine.
As you can see, nature provides us with everything we need to keep our bodies in top shape and help undo some of the harm caused by mankind. If you’re concerned about toxins in your food, the book Food Forensics by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, is a must-read. Keep in mind that you’ll want to opt for the organic varieties of these foods when you’re detoxing, to avoid introducing even more toxins into your system.