Is high fructose corn syrup one of the most shocking ingredients found in your food? Watch this video and decide for yourself. (Recognize the narrator??)
High Fructose Corn Syrup – Facts and Alternate Solutions – With Dr. Edward Group
Video Length: 4 minutes
High fructose corn syrup is one of the most controversial ingredients used by the food industry. Emerging science is confirming the negative health effects of high fructose corn syrup on the cardiovascular system, liver, and brain.  Unfortunately, avoiding this toxic ingredient has become incredibly difficult to do. Food manufacturers tend to add the mercury-laden sweetener to seemingly unsuspicious foods, like pickles and bread. If you haven’t heard the news about high fructose corn syrup, continue reading.
The Shocking Truth about High Fructose Corn Syrup
It’s no secret that chemical alternatives are unhealthier than their natural counterparts. Take sugar, for example. Sugar is a natural food product derived from the sugarcane plant. The problem with sugar is that it is highly inflammatory and contributes to insulin resistance.  Artificial sweeteners came into the scene to fight these issues. But, artificial sweeteners like aspartame actually cause more harm than good by contributing to decreased satiety and expanding waistlines. In fact, some research shows that individuals who consume sodas with artificial sweeteners weigh more than those who consume sodas sweetened with sugar! 
High fructose corn syrup was not introduced into the food industry to improve health. In reality, high fructose corn syrup costs less than actual sugar because it is much sweeter than sugar. Food manufacturers use less and earn more. It really is all about the money when it comes to this stuff. Food subsidies also put an enormous amount of attention on corn, the prime ingredient for producing high fructose corn syrup. This is why so many products, even those you would never imagine having the sweetener, contain high fructose corn syrup.
Surprising Health Effects They Don’t Want You to Know
Studies have consistently shown that the consumption of high fructose corn syrup seriously damages the health of vital organs, including the brain. The corn industry is spending millions of dollars to keep the science hidden from public view, spreading half truths to protect their hidden agenda: profits. The bottom line is that the bottom line trumps health in the food industry.
One of the most shocking health effects of high fructose corn syrup is its possible link to Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological disorders.  The sweetener is often laced with mercury, a compound that contributes to amyloid plaque buildup, a key component in Alzheimer’s disease development. Corn syrup also increases obesity risk up to 300%, according to animal studies.
What You Need to Do
If you’re consuming foods that contain high fructose corn syrup, it’s best to stop. There really is no beneficial level of this stuff, it’s a junk ingredient in overly refined and processed food. Healthy food, and especially whole foods, simply do not contain high fructose corn syrup — that should tell you something. Be mindful of ingredient labels and if you see HFCS listed, find something else. Fresh fruit is a source of natural sugar that can help satisfy your sweet tooth and provide nutrition besides.
Do you avoid high fructose corn syrup? Have you noticed any benefits? Please let us know!
- Elaine Schmidt. This is your brain on sugar: UCLA study shows high-fructose diet sabotages learning, mermory. UCLA Newsroom.
- Sharon S. Elliott, Nancy L. Keim, Judith S. Stern, Karen Teff, and Peter J. Havel. Fructose, weight gain, and the insulin resistance syndrome. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. November 2002, vol. 76, no. 5, 911-922.
- Harvard School of Public Health. Artificial Sweetneners. HSPH. The Nutrition Source.
- Dementia Today. Link Between High Fructose Corn Syrup Intake and Diabetes. November 30, 2012.
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
8 thoughts on “The Shocking Truth about High Fructose Corn Syrup (Video)”