What is Biological Terrain? The concept of Biological Terrain has its beginning in Europe. It is based largely on the clinical research of the French professor Louis Claude Vincent. I wrote an article on Biological Terrain some years ago and have been using it in my practice for quite some time.
My interest was further advanced in a discussion with German Naturopathic Doctor Uwe Uellendahl from Köln, Germany. He’s been emphasizing the importance of balancing the biological terrain for wellness in addition to its use for evaluating illness.
Professor Vincent discovered that the key to healing the body was not found merely in administration of drugs. He’s been measuring the building blocks of life: the elements of amino acids, enzymes, ions, and atoms found in the bodily fluids of blood, urine and saliva. He found monitoring the values of pH (acidity or alkalinity), oxidation-reduction (electron) potential, and resistivity (the molecular ion movement) of the body fluids (blood, urine and saliva) provided unique information of a particular patient’s susceptibility to illness.
Understanding Biological Terrain is like a farmer or a gardener understanding the condition of the soil for growing plants, vegetables and fruits. A field or garden is more than a plot of land to plant seeds and expect a harvest of healthy food several months later. It involves an in-depth knowledge of the soil chemistry, the nature of the seeds, proper control and measurement of nutrients, fertilizing materials, and providing optimal amounts of water and sun light. It also requires an understanding of how insects, weeds, molds, and fungi affect the soil and plants.
Similarly, managing a healthy biological terrain of the human body is like raising a healthy garden. If the body is fed a diet that provides adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals, nurtured with love as well as adequate amounts of exercise with rest and sleep, the body, like a healthy garden, can flourish with vitality and support a strong immune system.
When your immune system is strong with a balanced biological terrain, like a well cared for garden soil, you can ward off infectious agents and stay healthy. You won’t need to be too fearful of the latest news sensation such as methicillin resistant staph super bugs, salmonella scares, Lyme disease, Avian Flu, Influenza Flu, and new emerging infectious viruses, fungus, bacteria or parasites.
The most common causes that can damage your biological terrain are:
- Poor diet and nutrition. The average American consumes 150 lbs of sugar, mainly in a form of corn fructose, which has been associated with an epidemic rise in obesity and diabetes. Toomany processed, chemical laden foods for the convenience of time can destroy your health.
- Lack of adequate high quality water intake. In the 1950’s, the French government found a region with a highly alarming rate of cancer. They commissioned Dr. Vincent to find out the causes. He found the water was the main culprit. The water in the region had been oxidized and was acidic. It blocked metabolic detoxification.
- Stress and negative emotions. Over 10 billion doses of tranquilizers, barbiturates, and amphetamines are prescribed each year. There are an estimated 50,000 stress related suicides each year (only one in eight attempts are successful). Stress has a direct negative feedback for your psycho- neuro-endocrine and immune systems.
- Medical therapy and medications. Over 225,000 deaths have been identified as iatrogenic (medical therapy related). This has become the third leading cause of death, as of the year 2000, after heart disease and cancer. (JAMA 284 (4), July 26, 2000)
- Environmental toxicity and heavy metal toxicity. Read the eye opening issue on environmental toxin exposure of modern man from the National Geographic cover story, Chemicals Within Us, Oct 2006.
- Hidden dental problems from root canals and amalgams, allergic reaction to dental materials, galvanic currents in the mouth, TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint which connects the lower jaw to the skull) and bite problems, and periodontal infections.
- Parasites and new emerging infections
- Vaccinations. Too many vaccinations are given to young infants and especially at too early of an age. (There is too much controversy on this topic to go into depth.) Vaccinations have been associated with autism and auto-immune diseases. The more healthy and productive organic soil is, the less the need for insecticides and pesticides.
- Electro-magnetic pollution. It interferes with the bio-cybernetic field of living organisms from bees to mankind. It will manifest in new emerging medical problems. This topic is huge and requires a separate investigative article.
- Lack of natural light
- Structural imbalance of your body and many other unknown factors
All the above factors and other recognised stressors will interact and influence each other to disturb the biological terrain and weaken the immune system. Is there any hope? First, be informed. Second, assess your biological terrain condition. Third, investigate the weak links of your biological terrain. (Read articles on my web site for more detail on individual topics.)
However, don’t ask me advice on your garden or the soil terrain. I have a hard time keeping my own grass alive and getting my garden flowers to bloom. I needed a professional gardener to save me a lot of aggravation. You may need medical professionals to help restore your Biological Terrain.
Dr. Simon Yu, M.D.
Dr. Simon Yu, M.D. is a Board Certified Internist. He practices Internal Medicine with an emphasis on Alternative Medicine to use the best each has to offer. For more articles and information about alternative medicine as well as patient success stories visit his web site at http://www.preventionandhealing.com. You can also attend a free monthly presentation and discussion by Dr. Yu on Alternative Medicine at his office on the second Tuesday each month at 6:30 pm. Please call to verify the date and reserve your space.