Iodine intake immediately increases the excretion of bromide, fluoride, and some heavy metals including mercury and lead. Bromide and fluoride are not removed by any other chelator or detoxifying technique. Dr. Kenezy Gyula Korhaz states that iodine chelates heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium and aluminum and halogens such as fluoride and bromide, thus decreasing their iodine inhibiting effects especially of the halogens.
The toxicity of modern life is impacting iodine levels. It is well known that the toxic halides, fluoride and bromide, having structure similar to iodine, can competitively inhibit iodine absorption and binding in the body.
In the case of the halides, which are all antagonistic elements to iodine, they will impede the absorption of iodine. Heavy metals get stored in the same receptors that are looking for iodine. Almost all of us are exposed to bromine and fluorine and are storing these toxic halides in our iodine deficient receptors. The mechanism of iodine in the cells is very ancient and lacking of specificity, in fact, cells are not able to distinguish iodide from other anions of similar atomic or molecular size, which may act as “pseudo-iodides”: bromide, flouride, chlorine, thiocyanate, cyanate, nitrate, pertechnate, and perchlorate.
Iodine has the highest atomic weight of all the common halogens (126.9). Iodine is the only option when it comes to removing these toxic haloids from the thyroid and even the pineal gland where fluoride concentrates, especially when there is a deficiency in iodine in the body. In an age of increasing radioactivity and toxic poisoning specifically with fluoride, chlorine and bromide, and even mercury, iodine is a necessary mineral to protect us from harm for immediately these toxic substances will increasingly flow out of the body in the urine.
Humanity is traveling down a deadly path. Awaiting each and every child born on the planet is a life doomed to being poisoned. There is “overwhelming evidence that every child, no matter where in the world he or she is born, will be exposed, not only from birth, but from conception, to man-made chemicals that can undermine the child’s ability to reach its fullest potential — chemicals that interfere with the natural chemicals that tell tissues how to develop and construct healthy, whole individuals according to the genes they inherited from their mothers and fathers,” says Dr. Theo Colborn, Senior Program Scientist, at the World Wildlife Fund. Every pregnant woman should be using iodine and magnesium chloride applied transdermally to initiate protective action from even before conception.
- Sticht, G., Käferstein, H., Bromine. In Handbook on Toxicity of Inorganic Compounds – Seiler HG and Sigel, H Editors, Marcel Dekker Inc, 143-151, 1988.
- Wolff J (1964) Transport of iodide and other anions in the thyroid gland. Physiol Rev 44:45-90
- Fluoride is associated with cancer and it also accumulates in the thyroid as well as the pineal gland, an important hormone control center. Dr. Jennifer Luke’s found out that the pineal gland which produces serotonin and melatonin was also a calcifying tissue, like the teeth and the bones, so she hypothesized it would concentrate fluoride to very high levels. Luke had 11 cadavers analyzed in the UK and found very high levels of fluoride in the calcium hydroxy apatite crystals produced by the gland. The average was 9000 ppm and went as high as 21,000 in one case. These levels are at, or higher, than fluoride levels in the bones of people suffering from skeletal fluorosis. Luke hypothesizes that one of the four enzymes needed to convert the amino acid tryptophan (from the diet) into melatonin is being inhibited by fluoride. Melatonin is reponsible for regulating all kinds of activities including the onset of puberty. It is thought that it is the fall of melatonin levels acts like a biological clock and triggers the onset of puberty. In her gerbil study she found that the high fluoride treated animals were reaching puberty earlier than the low fluoride ones. When one considers the seriousness of a possible interference by fluoride on a growing child’s pineal gland (and for that matter, elderly pineal glands) it underlines the need for higher iodine intake to increase fluoride elimination.
Dr. Mark Sircus
- What Is Colloidal Iodine?
- Nascent Iodine in Vegetable Glycerin vs. Nascent Iodine in Alcohol
- How to Perform the Iodine Patch Test
- What Is Atomic Iodine?