Electroacupuncture can be used as an effective alternative treatment for mild cognitive impairment (MCI), according to a systematic review and meta-analysis published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. In this paper, its benefits on mild cognitive impairment were investigated in comparison to Western interventions.
- Almost half of the people with MCI tend to progress to dementia, which reduces their quality in life and makes it difficult for them to live independently, within five years.
- The condition should be managed properly to prevent it from progressing to dementia.
- Researchers at Daejeon University in South Korea investigated the use of electroacupuncture on people with MCI and compared with Western medications.
- Electroacupuncture has been used to treat various kinds of neurological disorders including MCI.
- Five randomized controlled trials (RCTs) were included in the paper.
- After analyzing the findings of these RCTs, the researchers found that electroacupuncture was more effective in improving the cognitive function of people with MCI compared to Western treatments.
- In addition, there were no reported adverse effects in groups that received electroacupuncture.
In conclusion, these findings suggest that electroacupuncture effectively improves cognitive function in people with MCI without causing side effects.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more studies on natural ways to improve brain function, visit BrainFunction.news.
Kim H, Kim HK, Kim SY, Kim YI, Yoo HR, Jung IC. COGNITIVE IMPROVEMENT EFFECTS OF ELECTRO-ACUPUNCTURE FOR THE TREATMENT OF MCI COMPARED WITH WESTERN MEDICATIONS: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 8 January 2019; 19(1). DOI: 10.1186/s12906-018-2407-2
- Acupuncture may improve standard treatments for chronic headache
- Strong scientific evidence points to acupuncture as an effective treatment for anxiety disorders
- Acupuncture found to be an effective treatment for vascular dementia
- Study shows that acupuncture can provide relief to those suffering from anxiety-related disorders