In this study, researchers from the National University of Malaysia investigated the bone-forming ability of longjack (Eurycoma longifolia) and its potential as a natural treatment for osteoporosis in men. Their results were published in theJournal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine.
- Longjack has attracted the interest of scientists because of its ability to stimulate bone formation in androgen-deficient osteoporosis.
- The researchers examined the mechanisms behind longjack’s ability to form bones using an in vitro osteoblastic model.
- They compared longjack treatment with testosterone replacement, one of the standard treatments used for androgen-deficient osteoporosis.
- The researchers found that treatment with longjack extract at a dose of 25 micrograms per milliliter (ug/mL) significantly increased cell growth, alkaline phosphatase activity, and collagen deposition and mineralization.
- To determine the mechanisms behind its bone-forming activity, they also analyzed the time-mannered expression of bone-related mediators, such as bone morphogenic protein-2 (BMP-2), ALP, runt-related transcription factor-2 (Runx-2), osteocalcin, type I collagen, osteopontin, transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF-beta1), and androgen receptor.
- Their analysis of bone-related protein biomarkers revealed that the expression of these mediators was well-regulated in longjack-treated cell cultures compared with the control groups.
The findings of this study suggest that longjack can be considered as a potential alternative to conventional treatments used to address osteoporosis in men.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
Visit AlternativeMedicine.news to learn more about natural treatments for bone diseases.
Thu HE, Mohamed IN, Hussain Z, Shuid AN. EXPLORING MOLECULAR MECHANISM OF BONE-FORMING CAPACITY OF EURYCOMA LONGIFOLIA: EVIDENCE OF ENHANCED EXPRESSION OF BONE-RELATED BIOMARKERS. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 2018; 9(4): 272-280. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaim.2017.04.005
- Promote bone health and lower osteoporosis risk by incorporating these essential nutrients and minerals into your diet
- 25 Health conditions linked to bone loss and osteoporosis
- Natural remedies for osteoporosis: What are the science-based health benefits of red clover?
- The glossy privet fruit, a popular Chinese herbal medicine, can prevent osteoporosis in menopausal women