Researchers at SV Ayurvedic College in India discussed various Ayurvedic medicinal plants that are known to contain saponins with anti-inflammatory activities. Their article was published in the International Journal of Ayurvedic Medicine.
- Inflammation is a local reaction of living tissue. Without it, bacterial infections will left unaddressed, wounds will never heal and injured organs might remain permanently damaged.
- On the other hand, because of the negative effects of uncontrolled inflammation, investigations have been conducted to identify plants with anti-inflammatory properties.
- The most common screening model used for these investigations is the rat model with carrageenan-induced edema.
- Naturally occurring compounds with anti-inflammatory activities have diverse chemical structures.
- A large number of saponin glycosides have been investigated for their beneficial properties, which include immune-stimulating, hypocholesterolemic and anti-inflammatory activities.
- Most plants that contain saponin glycosides are medicinally important. In fact, many glycosides are used in traditional and modern medicines because they have been found to have cardioprotective, analgesic and anti-rheumatic properties, among others.
- The researchers compiled data about Ayurvedic plants with anti-inflammatory saponins by carefully studying classical Ayurvedic texts, modern books and journal articles.
- They noted that saponin-containing plants have different karmas and that these karmas have sotha hara properties (anti-inflammatory activity).
- The researchers listed 10 plants mentioned in classical literature to be effective treatments for various inflammatory disorders.
The researchers are hoping their study can contribute to the development of a potent but plant-based anti-inflammatory medicine.
Chadana S, Bulusu S, S PK. A STUDY OF CERTAIN AYURVEDIC PLANTS CONTAINING STEROIDAL SAPONINS WITH ANTI INFLAMMATORY ACTIVITY. International Journal of Ayurvedic Medicine. 08 October 2019;10(3):220-229.